Thursday 17 October 2013

roadtrippin...

Nothing says fun filled weekend like a road trip. It was my fiance and I's anniversary this weekend so we decided to hire a car and hit the road. I get super excited about the tiniest of things so this had me buzzing before hand. Plans galore.

I'm not a massive route planner when I'm driving as I believe you find the best places when you are "lost" not that I ever get lost! I generally just find more exciting ways of getting to my destination then the original advised route. One time Claire and I talked so much on a journey to Bantry that we ended up in Kerry. It was pretty hilarious although Claire was not too impressed with our detour, even less so when I decided the fastest way back would be over the hills. It wasn't but we did laugh quite a lot on our adventure and we did get there in the end although we were about three hours late.

Billy is definitely not someone who enjoys my little driving adventures but he tries to stay calm and not frown too much in my direction. He has been told on more than one occasion that if he doesn't like how we get there just go to sleep and he'll be woken once we land. Luckily enough this weekend was just perfect and if he had slept he would have missed some of the most amazing sights in the world. With only one route to take there wasn't much chance of us getting lost either.

For those that do not know, The Great Ocean Road is the largest war memorial in the world. It was built by returned soldiers between 1919 and 1932 and is dedicated to soldiers killed during World War I. The road stretches from Torquay to Allansford and is 243 kilometres (151 miles long). Most people travel just a small section of the road but nothing would do me but to travel the whole road, both ways.


Here is the Great Ocean Road Memorial Archway. It was built as a tribute to the soldiers from the First World War who were involved in the construction of the Great Ocean Road.


We stopped at Torquay for lunch and couldn't help but have a little run around on the beach in the sunshine. The weather was perfect for a road trip. We were so lucky.


This is the Grotto. It was so breathtaking. Just beyond the arch there is a pool of still water, it looks so calm and then right behind that you see the sea crashing against the rocks. It was such a contrast and just really beautiful to see.


This is the arch. It was so amazing to watch the waves crashing through here.


This is London bridge. There used to be another arch connecting this rock formation to the mainland however it collapsed in 1990. Fortunately nobody was injured however there were two tourists stranded on the remaining piece that had to be rescued by helicopter.

I have loads more pictures of the twelves apostles but unfortunately they don't want to be uploaded at the moment so I will have to pop them up later. For anyone travelling in Australia please do not miss out on this amazing trip. You can book a day tour really easily or do what we did and hire a car and book somewhere nice to stay and make a weekend of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment