Tuesday 22 October 2013

cambodia is calling...

Earlier this year I was fortunate enough to be able to live and teach English in Siem Reap in Cambodia for two months. This was one of the most amazing experiences of my entire life and I loved almost every minute of it. I didn't love the mosquito bites so much but I guess they come as part of the package. We met wonderful and inspiring people every day we were there. A lot of these people have nothing, the children have two sets of clothes, one being their school uniform, they go without shoes, they go without meals and they work, they work hard, at home, in the fields, helping parents and guardians and yet they used to come to school smiling and full of life and love for everything and everyone around them.


This was my last day at school with the kids. They love having their photograph taken and I was lucky enough that a few of the girls took my phone for me and filled it with over 100 photos of the day. Lots of amazing memories to look back on.


They also love showing the peace sign! As soon as a camera appears in Cambodia kids are flashing the peace sign in your direction.


A little downpour isn't going to dampen these guy's spirits. I'd told Reaksmey to stay in out of the rain but he couldn't help having a splash about in the puddles before coming back to show off the damage.


We went to see the Temples at Angkor Wat for sunset and sunrise and the sights were mind blowing. The heat was pretty mind blowing too. Good job we had packed plenty of water and sugary snacks to keep us going.


I could not get enough coconut water while I was in Cambodia. It cost a dollar at most and it was so refreshing and so good for you too. I stayed a few days with some families in their homes and they used just knock a coconut out of the tree and chop the top off for me. When we had drank all the water we cut the coconut up and ate the flesh. Yum.

If you ever have the chance to visit Cambodia do not miss out on all this amazing country has to offer. I'm hoping to tie in a trip back there on our way home from Australia. Would be a shame to be so close and to pass it by.

No comments:

Post a Comment