Monday 21 October 2013

op shop shopping...

I have found a new love in op shop shopping. Op shops and charity shops are full of hidden opportunities just waiting to be discovered. I was always a fan of charity shops when I lived in London and over the years have found some really amazing pieces for even better prices and since I have come to Australia have found an even greater love for op shops.


Since I've been travelling for the last few months and know that I have a restricted weight allowance on my luggage I am a little more thoughful when shopping and that is why op shops are the perfect solution. I'm able to pick up amazing bargains for a snippet of the original price. Some of the pieces I will just leave behind when I have to move on again and others I will be sure to make room for in my bags.

Some people think that they could never been seen in an op shop and can't imagine wearing something that has already seen a bit of the world but you find some real hidden treasures in op shops.


I first go and look at the shoes. So many people buy shoes and try them on, only to discover they don't fit or they can't walk in them. I have bought at least five pairs of brand new shoes over the years and rarely paid more than £10 for them.


Next I look at the belts. I love leather belts and people part with nice leather belts far too easily in my opinion. Again you can pick these up for only a couple of dollars a piece where you might spend a lot more in a high street shop for them.


Finally I do a scout of the rails. Depending on the mood I'm in or a particular piece I'm looking for it could be a quick browse or I may end up spending half and hour in the changing room. Sometimes it will be just my luck that I spot the perfect dress only to find it is two sizes too small but I guess that is the luck of the draw! I especially love finding clothes that still have the shop labels on them because then you know you are really getting a bargain and if you're really lucky like I was the other day you may turn up on a 50% off day which means you get even more value for money.

Here are some of my many op shop finds...


This leather belt was £3 in a charity shop in London.


These shoes were brand new from Zara and they were only $10


These leather boots were only $8. Perfect for work with tights and a dress.


These shorts still have the tags on and were $14.99, however it was 50% off day so I got them for $7.49. What a bargain!

I also love a good clear out and it's great to bring your unwanted items to an op shop where the proceeds will help someone else. Don't just dump them unless they really are beyond saving.

No comments:

Post a Comment