Monday 9 December 2013

packing party...

We leave for New Zealand in a few days and packing is my least favourite job of all time. I always want to take everything with me, this includes stilettos on a backpacking trip through South East Asia. Needless to say they didn't even make it out of the bag. You would imagine that since I only came to Australia quite recently that I wouldn't have gathered too many belongings but you would be wrong. Luckily for me Billy likes to travel light. How anyone could up and leave home for a year and only pack 12 kilos of luggage is beyond me but I'm thankful for those extra eight kilos that I now get to fill.


I learned a very valuable lesson when travelling to Kenya a number of years ago to do some chairty work. Your hand luggage is the most important bag you will pack, because if you are lucky like me and end up having to wait a whole week for your bag to arrive, you need to have sufficient supplies to survive. I didn't. But you can be sure I wont be caught again. Luckily we were limited to 10 kilos of clothes each anyway so most people were wearing the same clothes each day so I didn't stand out too much.


In saying all this I do also believe that less can be more and once travelled to Madrid for a weekend with nothing but my handbag and a clean pair of pants and survived just fine.

This time I aim to be the perfect packer. Firm but kind in my selection of outfits. I'm even going to try to plan out most of my outfits to avoid bringing extra things that I know I definitely wont be wearing but you know a pair of stilettos might just come in handy when visiting the Franz Josef Glacier right? and I wouldn't want to run into Bilbo Baggins dressed in any old thing you know. Wish me luck! Or maybe reserve that luck for Billy who will have to carry what I can't fit.



No comments:

Post a Comment