Monday 30 September 2013

hair mask heaven...

No matter what time of the year it is our hair is always fighting a battle of some kind, it's either being blown about by the wind, beaten by the rain, or searing in the sunshine. Our tresses are being tortured and we need to give them a little TLC.

I have red hair and from season to season it lightens or darkens depending on how much sunshine it is being exposed to. It's generally not to dry or too greasy and I am quite lucky with the fact that I usually get away with only washing it once maybe twice a week. I apply some serum once washed and a day or so before I wash it again I use some dry shampoo to freshen it up and give it a bit of volume but other then that it is left alone. I shampoo and condition when washing my hair but sometimes I just dont get that fresh clean feeling I'm looking for.

I decided to have a look for some home made remedies and this is what I found:

The first little step I came across is not a hair mask but a really simple step to getting really fresh clean hair. Baking soda as we know is well known for its cleaning properties from glistening kitchens to soap scum free sinks, so it must be great at getting through the build up and residue left from all the styling products we use too. Add two tablespoons of baking soda to three cups of water and use to rinse your hair after shampooing. Then condition as normal for silky smooth fresh hair. Alternatively pour a generous helping of baking soda into your hand and add your shampoo and work well into your hair before rinsing and conditioning. It's such a simple step and by doing this once a week you really will notice the difference.


As I have been travelling quite a bit over the last year and have been lucky enough to spend most of my time in some very warm countries, my hair has definitely dried out a little more then I would like. I haven't really been giving it enough attention and it spent a lot of the time just knotted on top of my head to keep it all out of the way. Now that I'm faced with another summer coming up I want to get my hair into the best condition possible. I found this really simple yet effective hair mask to moisturise and strengthen hair whilst giving it an amazing shine too. There's only two ingredients so for a cheap yet effective hair mask I don't think it gets much better than this.

You need enough natural yogurt to cover your hair. Mix two tablespoons of honey into this. Massage this into your scalp and hair and leave to sit for 15-30 mins. Then rinse off and wash and condition as normal. The natural yogurt provides essential nutrients whilst being full of protein which is super important for healthy hair. The honey is great for moisturising so these two combined create a great hair mask. Apply this mask every few weeks to keep your hair in tip top condition. Dont worry if you make too much of this mask as you can always enjoy the leftovers as a healthy treat poured over some fruit. yummy.


These worked so well I'm now on the hunt for a few more so every hair complaint will have a mask to suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment