Tuesday 24 September 2013

can't get enough chia...

Around the same time I discovered acai berry bars I was also introduced to chia seeds. I'll be honest and say I knew nothing at all about them but they looked healthy so this was enough to attract my interest. I do try to be healthy but unfortunately I still like the odd treat, so something that can make even my naughty treats a little nicer is a winner with me.


Chia seeds can be added to so many recipes there really is no excuse not to be eating these mini super seeds. You can simply sprinkle them onto salads or cereals, add them to juices and smoothies or one of my favourite things to do is to combine them with water or milk to form a gel and add them to baking recipes when water or milk is called for. Makes those delicious chocolate brownies almost healthy without changing the taste in any way. Perfect in breads and muffins too.


Chia seeds are gluten free, high in dietary fibre, contain protein, have more omega 3 than salmon, have more calcium than milk, have more vitamin c than oranges... are you convinced yet? They have more potassium than bananas, more iron than spinach and they are great for hair skin and nails. What's not to love about these teeny tiny seeds.


They are now available in most supermarkets as well as health food stores. Go grab some now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment