Wednesday 18 September 2013

for the love of lemon...

I've always fancied myself as a bit of a dab hand in the kitchen. I wouldn't say I'm the next Mary Berry or Jamie Oliver but I like to experiment with my baking and cooking and I can whip up a few nice treats both sweet and savoury. Recently we went to the country to visit friends and before we got on the bus home my friends mom Anne, very kindly gave me a huge bag of lemons from the tree in her garden. I was delighted as I love a glass of lemon water in the morning but even I couldn't drink enough water to make use of all these lemons while they were at their best so I had a quick look online for some lemon inspired recipes and found one for some yummy lemon slices. I could not believe how easy this recipe was and have since made them every week and even made a batch for Anne's granddaughters communion, which were very well received.

Recipe:
For the lemon slice you need -
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of sugar
pinch of salt
half a cup of butter
2 large eggs
the zest of 1 lemon
the juice of two lemons

For the glaze -
1 cup of icing sugar
the zest of 1 lemon
the juice of 1 lemon

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
2. Grease an 8x8 baking tray and set aside.
3. Combine the first four ingredients until smooth.
4. Beat the eggs and add the lemon juice and lemon zest and then combine with the dry mixture until smooth and creamy.
5. Pour the mixture into the baking tray and pop in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and when you put a skewer into the centre it comes out clean.
6. Once the brownies have cooled completely (yes be patient) make the glaze by combining the icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest. Spread half of the glaze over the slices and leave to set (yes, you have to wait) then spread the remaining glaze over and leave to set. This glaze doesn't set rock hard like some others.
7. Slice up and enjoy. I served my slices with some homemade lemonade but then again I did have a lot of lemons to use.

Delicious and light and so easy to make.



No comments:

Post a Comment